Up and coming First Steps in Social Enterprise courses
We will update course dates as they become available.
Session 1 – Introduction to Social Enterprise & Preparing a business plan
- Why set up a social enterprise and the benefits of doing so
- Have you got what it takes to set up a new social enterprise?
- Is running a social enterprise for you?
- Assessing your skills: do you and your team have what it takes?
- Looking at the social and entrepreneurial aspects of your proposal
- Concept of business planning and its importance
- Essential elements of a business plan
Session 2 – Assessing viability: testing your business idea feasible& Understanding your market
- The core elements of market research & strategy
- How viable is your idea?
- What is a market research? How to conduct market research and analyse your findings?
- Market research methods
- The road to viability
Session 3 – Post research activities: Marketing your products and services
- What do you do after your research?
- How to make products/services appealing to potential customers.
- Assessing strengths and weaknesses in relation to competitors.
- Developing a market
Session 4 – Operating your Social Enterprise
- Operational considerations: staffing, premises, insurance, legal implications of running a business etc.
- Quality assurance systems and their relevance to your social enterprise
Session 5 – Developing a budget and cash flow
- How to survive until your business has got off the ground
- Developing a budget based on what you need to get yourenterprise off the ground and income projections based on sales
Session 6 – Pricing to be in profit
- Pricing that makes profit not loss
- Profit and loss and balance sheets
- Restricted income, unrestricted income, operating profit, working capital, investment requirement
Session 7 – Legal structures : Share and Guarantee
- Understanding limiting a company by share or guarantee
- Understanding company legal status and regulations
- What are the investment implications
- Most commonly associated legal structures for social enterprises
- Identifying which legal structure is best suited to your enterprise
- Choosing an appropriate legal structure
Session 8 – Employing People
- Self Employment
- Sub contracts
- Responsibilities of an employer
- Business support
Session 9 – Investment Strategies for Social enterprises
- Exploring what funders and investors are looking for
- Different types of investors and funders
- How to develop a investment and funding strategy
- Completing your business plan and planning the next steps
Session 10 – Business Plan Review
- Review of your social enterprise business plan & the programme
- Dragons Den & evelator pitch exercise
- Reviewing & evaluation of progess