Olmec provides leadership and governance services in pursuit of our mission. Our training and support is suitable for
- Individuals wanting to improve their skills and contribute at a Governance level
- Young people wanting to become more involved in their community
- Existing Board members looking to build on their skills
- Organisations wishing to diversify their Board
- Organisations wishing to offer training to existing Board members.
- Civil Society organisations and charities wishing to promote wider diversity in civic engagement
We have 2 main programmes (further details below):
- Black on Board aims to improve the racial diversity on Governing Boards by delivering professional training that prepares people to become effective Board members.
- FutureLeaders provides Community Leadership training for 16-24 year olds.
Both programmes have been delivered through grant funding or purchased by housing associations and local authorities. If your organisation wants to improve diversity and would like to
- sponsor delivery of a programme in the community
- purchase delivery of a bespoke run for your staff, residents or other group of learners
or if you would like further information about Black on Board or FutureLeaders, please contact John Mayford on firstname.lastname@example.org
More about the programmes
Black On Board
The Black on Board programme aims to improve the racial diversity on Governing Boards of all kinds of organisation, from civil society and public sector organisations to private sector companies, by delivering professional training that prepares people to become effective Board members.
By taking part in the programme, participants:
- Improve skills and confidence to operate at a Board level.
- Are offered an interactive and hands on learning experience which builds on their prior knowledge and skills.
- Learn through role play, observations of Board meetings and group exercises.
The programme has led to personal development and career progression as well as creating opportunities to grow personal networks.
Download the Black on Board_ brochure
Designed with a specific focus on young people between 16 and 30, in response to the needs of people who were out of work or wanted to develop new skills & abilities to help their career, FutureLeaders helps participants:
- Improve work or training prospects
- Have a say on employment, training & education issues
- Develop Community Leadership skills
- Gain the skills to become a board member:
“To have a voice, you need the words; To have power you need a seat at the table”
- Inspiration by meeting peers, trainers and successful community leaders
- Confidence by learning new skills in a supportive environment
- Public Speaking techniques to get your message across in public setting
- Networks through meeting new people, and understanding how to develop contacts
- Working safely in communities
- Understanding what it means to work safely and the how community, statutory, third sector and business worlds relate
- The skills to understand what happens in a formal meeting setting
- The skills to sit on a community or company board
Download an example Futureleaders training programme outline